Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When you have fire damage in San Diego, SERVPRO of San Diego City SW can hold your hand every step of the way. We are a licensed, insured, bonded, and reliable fire cleaning company. We handle everything from deodorization to smoke and soot cleaning, contents cleaning, and the reconstruction. If you have a fire in San Diego, here are a few tips:
1.) Don't touch your valuables without wearing gloves. If soot gets onto your personal belongings, you don't want the oils in your hands to leave impressions on your belongings to the point where they cannot be cleaned or restored.
2.) Secure your property. Call us 24/7 for an emergency board-up. We can be reached at 619-269-5004.
3.) Call a reputable cleaning company, like SERVPRO. We are centrally located and serve San Diego County. We will come onsite and assess your damage, and get air filtration equipment running in your property.
4.) File an insurance claim. Call your insurance company to file a claim and determine coverage.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (619) 269-5004
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.